Sunday, May 30, 2010

BP: Wounding My Mother, Wounding Pachamama

by davidseth

It begins as helplessness.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I watch as oil spews from BP's well into the Gulf of Mexico, killing sea life, destroying the ocean, ruining the breeding grounds near the shore.  The Gulf of Mexico is becoming a vast petroleum gumbo garnished with oil soaked sea birds and drowned turtles.  I watch this.  I wish that all of the wise men and women of the world could find a solution, could stop the flow.  But as the time elapses, and the failures to stem the flow mount up, it should be obvious to me.  There may be no solution.  At least not for the foreseeable future.  And by then, by then what even BP is calling a "catastrophe" will be that much more enormous.  That much more irremediable.  The leak will have killed much of the Gulf of Mexico, and unchecked, it will continue to kill as the currents carry its devastation farther and farther away. Please join me on this voyage.  

continued at Daily Kos....