Saturday, May 22, 2010

We'll never win - on BP, Obama, and effective change

by erratic

because it's never over. We'll never achieve that ideal utopic moment, when everything's perfect, and justice and freedom and well-being prevail. It doesn't exist. I know because I've been to various Utopiae, and they always have problems. When I read the complaints about the Obama Administration's failures, the compromises and betrayals by Dems in Congress, the cynical gutting of progressive ideals and values, I think back to where I was a few years back, during the years of W, remember how ecstatic I would have been, to be where we are now. We'll never win, because there's always more to be done. Humans aren't hardwired for contentment, they're hardwired for recognizing enemies and threats and danger and disaster. That's the world we evolved in - saber-toothed tigers and droughts and lightning strikes and war and desperation disease and theft. We build our stabilities and contentment at the expense of others - by taking from them, or attacking them, or enslaving them, or exploiting them. Our leaders gain power by casting others as threats we must unite against.

continued at Daily Kos....