Monday, August 2, 2010

What on Earth is an Ecocity?

by citisven

Some of you may be familiar with my diaries about ecocities. From Venice and Istanbul to West Oakland, I've written about urban areas within an ecocity context, and I'm about to launch another series about places I've visited or studied recently.

While it's fun to showcase elements of cities considered to be in balance with the web of life, it's equally important that there be a metric with which to measure a city's "econess." Not only to avoid greenwashing, but to make sure that well-intentioned city planners', architects' and residents' efforts are channeled toward the greatest possible ecological good.

Enter International Ecocity Standards. Please follow me below the fold for an overview of this new and exciting project that I think will revolutionize city design the way the LEED® rating system revolutionized building design.      



continued at Daily Kos...