Monday, August 2, 2010

Breaking - 4.9 million barrels - 6 Updates below fold

by teacherken

just received a notice from Washington Post.  There is as yet nothing other than the headline on their website.

the message included

The blown-out well in the Gulf of Mexico gushed even more oil than the worst-case scenario envisioned, a whopping 4.9 million barrels, or 205.8 million gallons, according to a new analysis by government scientists charged with estimating the flow rate.

Worse than the worst-case scenario

and at a maximum of $4,300/barrel, fines of over $21 billion dollars

I realize this diary does not contain much data.  I will update as I get more.

Now that this is up, let me note all subsequent updates will be below the fold.

The story says the government scientists charged with estimating.  It is still an estimate, and I presume one reason BP is hiring all the scientists is to be able to challenge the government's figures.



continued at Daily Kos...