Sunday, August 15, 2010

New method uses Sunlight to remove CO2 from Atmosphere: Updated

by yuriwho

To be able to use solar energy to drive chemical reactions is a hot topic these days, especially if the reaction can produce fuel from thin air or be used to remove greenhouse gasses safely from the atmosphere.

The research article described here can do both.

I have believed (and advocated) for some time now that unless we can actively remove large quantities of CO2 from our atmosphere and oceans safely and efficiently without causing worse problems, we are likely doomed as a species. I'd give us less than a thousand years without these measures. Perhaps a lot less.

When I read about this new research, I felt a little bit of weight being lifted from my shoulders. This may not be the magic bullet, but I have hope now.



continued at Daily Kos...