Wednesday, July 21, 2010

ug99

by mem from somerville

For a long time plant science research has been unfortunately under-funded and had less attention from the public. This had led to fewer people studying it, less tool development, less technology development, and unfortunately lost time and knowledge. Personally, I love plants and eat almost only plants. I grow them inside and outside of my house. Some of my best friends, as they say.... In fact, after an undergraduate degree in microbiology I went into a plant lab. I liked the work, but it was clear that wasn't where the funding was. So after that degree, I aimed at mammalian research for my PhD. Nevertheless, I have always been interested in a wide range of species, most of which I think are valuable in their own way on the planet--and deserve focus and funding.

Sometimes pathogens are hard to love--but may be the most crucial to understand. A particularly challenging foe could be ug99. I'll introduce you to this unfriendly little fungus that could be coming to some wheat near you.



continued at Daily Kos...