Friday, July 23, 2010

Dear Mr President; We're Growing Broke

by hamesfarmer

Dear Mr. President:
 I'm a small farmer,which means I'm a blue collar entrepreneur. I don't mind hard work, and I don't need fancy benefits. All I want to do is to take care of my family, my farm, my animals, my community and the welfare of the country. But every time I try to do what I know will work, I meet another regulation/rule/legislation/policy that makes it impossible or impractical.  
 I raise the smallest of dairy goats, which make the smallest hoofprints on the planet, contribute to the soil, diversity of the farmyard, health of my family, and make the most amazing milk for cheese and yogurt. But they don't make enough to meet most industrial standards for equipment. I don't want to have different goats, and more goats isn't an option because of the nutrition and space needs that they have. But I don't need more goats, if the regulations were reasonable. If I could sell to my neighbors without fear of the government, making a living for my family would be much easier. There is much more demand for goat cheese than there are providers, because the regulations are geared toward industrial dairying, which goats don't thrive under.



continued at Daily Kos...