Sunday, June 6, 2010

Deepwater Horizon: A Reflection On Our Use Of Oil

by webranding

Let me start off by saying that BP is directly to blame for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill gusher. I think my comments here are totally clear on that point. However, Americans as a whole are also to blame at some level, even if indirectly. We are just addicted to "cheap" oil. It is as simple as that. Oil companies love nothing more than massive windfall profits. So if they could drill for oil in places not located miles from the shoreline and/or water surface, get it with less effort and charge the same price they would. Alas I'd say the "easy to get oil" has already been used up. So I'd say Deepwater Horizon is just what might be the first of many environmental nightmares we're going to see as we search for oil in harder to reach locations. With that little intro, the "meat" of this Diary is my suggestion for how to change our behavior. I'd do realize it might be short term political suicide for our party, but I see no other way to change the behavior of my fellow Americans. We should add a massive, several dollar a gallon tax to all gasoline. Period. Below the fold just a story or two and then let me tell you how this would work.

continued at Daily Kos....