Monday, May 24, 2010

Iowa Ag Sec.--Who's Afraid of Francis Thicke?

by Francis Thicke

Some farmers are afraid of me. I know this because a farmer named Jerry wrote a letterto the Des Moines Register recently saying that they are scared.  It would be a "scary scenario for mainstream agriculture" if I got elected as Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, he said.   Francis Thicke is a "true believer in everything organic," he shuddered. Running for office is an adventure.  But I never expected to learn that Iowa farmers, who are among the most resilient, shrewd and creative people on the planet, are afraid of a mild-mannered organic dairy farmer with a PhD in Agronomy and some ideas for helping them meet challenges such as peak oil.   So I thought I would write him a letter to reassure him that I'm not scary, because if we don't get our act together to deal with the real challenges of peak oil, the disruptions caused by climate change, and the growing monopoly power of corporate agribusiness, then we really will have cause for concern. (My letter, and a sincere thank you to DKGreenroots, below.)

continued at Daily Kos....