Sunday, May 23, 2010

Deepwater Horizon: The first 30 days [minor updates#1]

by Hayate Yagami

Now that we've reached and passed the 1-month mark since the start of this disaster, maybe it's a good time to look back and try to account for when events occured.  I'll be going more or less day-by-day since April 20, when the explosion crippled the Deepwater Horizon platform, and started this mess.  I'm not going to get into "why" things happened, just saying that they happened.  Also, since diarists have been writing about events pretty much in real time, I'll link to various diaries for these events.  I'm basing much of this timeline off of a few sites, such as SkyTruth and here, using the Deepwater Horizon and eKos tags.  If I missed something important, or got something wrong, feel free to correct me. Also, this might be a bit of a hit-and-run diary, because I'll be in and out of the house all day (e.g. two minutes after hitting "post"), so if I disappear for a while, that's why, but I'll try to cover all the comments when I'm around.  Anyway, timeline over the fold.

continued at Daily Kos....