Monday, November 8, 2010

Conflicted

by Muskegon Critic

Sometimes I wish I were a conservative, simply for what I perceive to be their clean, clear path. Cut taxes, shrink Government. So simple. So easy to articulate.

But as a progressive I find myself often internally conflicted over jobs, sustainability, improving the middle class, environmental concerns. For example I love the notion that the St. Lawrence Seaway allows International shipping access to the Great Lakes region, making cities like Duluth, Minnesota one of the busiest harbors in America...but I hate, hate, hate, hate that the St. Lawrence Seaway has opened the door to hundreds of invasive species in the Great Lakes.

I want Michigan to manufacture again, and make STUFF and sell STUFF and get families back to work! But I want to reduce consumerism overall, and see people re-using STUFF and being less wasteful and being less dependent on buying STUFF.



continued at Daily Kos....