Monday, October 4, 2010

Mental Gymnastics: The "Going Green" Year Long Project

by webranding

Not sure where I got that phrase mental gymnastics from, but I've used it for decades to describe doing something just to do it. Not cause you have to. Not cause you are forced to. Maybe not even because you think it will be fun. But to do it to think, learn, and maybe expand your horizons.

I've been a liberal for as long as I can recall. Coming here I don't know how many years ago has not changed my views much. This site has instead reinforced them. Educated me endlessly. And maybe most important of all, given me the ability to express my views to others in a much more persuasive manner.

But it has changed me in one major way!

For most of my life I was the cheerleader on the sidelines. Somebody could tell me they were going to "save the world" I'd cheer them on endlessly. Offer support. And then say something like, "hey when you are done saving the world I'll be here when you get back." Before I came here I had never worked on a political campaign (well once). I had never given money to a campaign. I'd been to marches and rallies, but mainly cause I figured they'd be a train-wreck and I wanted to watch it.

The community here has changed all of that. Which is why if you follow me below the fold I'll explain why I'm going "green" in the next year.



continued at Daily Kos....