Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tales from the Larder: Mushrooms, part 1

by Patric Juillet

I have written many times about my great-grandmother on these boards. She has taught me a great deal about foodstuffs, foraging, preserving, and above all, Provençal lore. She always spoke in our ancient language, and quite often I would have to ask her the meaning of a particular word or expression. It was during our long mushrooms excursions into the wild woods of the Esterel that I have learned about our rich culture...and wild mushrooms.

                                     Photobucket

During the mushroom season we would wake up at 4am, gather our baskets and walk for a good four or five hours before we'd stop for a bite to eat. I would always bring bread, sausages, salt & pepper and a flask filled with water flavored with mint syrup. I'd make a small fire and grill our sausages on rosemary sticks. Over the break, she would tell me another story about our past and we'd resume our march for another couple of hours. She knew exactly where to go and what to look for.



continued at Daily Kos....