Monday, July 19, 2010

Two Hundred. Two Hundred and One....

by WarrenS

I had an idea one day in December.  The new year was coming up, and I wondered if I had what it took to sustain a daily discipline that wasn't about practicing music or doing the dishes (not that I necessarily do those every day, nowadays, but...).

For a few years I had been following the news about climate change.  JohnnyRook was the person who woke me up.  Reading his diaries and learning about him was transformative.  Unfortunately, it seemed to transform me at first into a pretty gloomy guy, because all I ever saw was politicians squandering opportunities and media figures abandoning their responsibilities, while the scientific evidence mounted higher and higher.

Understand: I am the child of scientists.  While I am by profession a musician, I know enough about science to know that when scientists say something like, "Well, we have observed significant correlations between atmospheric CO2 and increased global mean temperature," in a soft, calm, slightly hesitant voice, what they are doing is screaming is "HOLY SHIT!!! EVERYBODY!!! WAKE THE F**K UP!!! NOW!!!"  That is, phrases like "significant correlation" and "robust" are scientists' way of shouting.



continued at Daily Kos....